Personal Injury: Fire Victim

fire death landlord faulty electrical settlement

Maggie was a middle aged woman who lived alone on the third floor of a three unit rental property.

She awoke one night choking on smoke from a fire that started in the unit below her.

She tried escaping out the door but the smoke was too thick.

The fire escape had been boarded over. She spent the last minutes of her life on the phone with a 911 operator begging for help.

By the time the firemen were able to reach her it was too late.

They found her lying on the bathroom floor dead from asphyxiation.

The family turned to McDermott-Hickey for help. We demanded that the landlord’s insurer pay the policy limits to Maggie’s daughters.

The insurance company inexplicably refused. We filed suit and hired the top experts in the fire investigation field.

They determined the cause was electrical. The wiring of the rental unit was out of code.

Through discovery we learned that for years the landlord had electrical work done without ever getting permits or inspections from the city.

RESULTS: A confidential settlement was reached prior to trial.